How to Become a Chief Executive Officer (CEO)(1 courses)
What do I need to study to become a Chief Executive Officer (CEO)?
A career in international business management is within your reach with this highly regarded Master of Business Administration (International) course from Deakin University.View course information
Displaying 1 of 1 courses
Thanks for your enquiry
Definition of Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The highest ranked executive in a company or organisation, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for major corporate decisions, driving the overall operation and trajectory of the business and functioning as the primary point of communication between corporate operations and the board of directors or other governing body.
Chief Executive Officers set the tone and vision of their company, devising, formulating and monitoring general policies, programs and the overarching direction of an organisation, within the framework set by a board of directors.
In smaller companies, the CEO often has more of a hands-on role, making many of the lower level, day-to-day business decisions like hiring staff, managing finance and liaising with clients, whereas in a larger organisation the Chief executive typically only handles the higher level aspects of strategy and overall growth, with most of the other tasks being carried out by managers and department heads.
What are the responsibilities of a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) ?
- Providing vision, drive and top-level management for an organisation.
- Setting company objectives and dictating strategies, policies and systems to achieve them.
- Liaising with the board of directors and presenting forecasts, reports, plans and budgets.
- Monitoring and assessing company performance against projections and objectives.
- Reviewing reports and consulting with senior subordinates.
- Approving authorisation and allocation of resources required to achieve organisational goals.
- Representing the company or organisation at public events, in negotiations and at seminars and conventions.
- Overseeing the selection of senior staff members.
- Ensuring compliance with company policies and other relevant laws and legislations.
Career Outlook for Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The average age of people working as is 50 with 77.90% of them being male. 86.90% of are employed full-time and they typically work around 48.3 hours per week.
Unemployment is below average and, with A Bachelor Degree or higher, the average Community Worker can earn around $2,572 per week Before Tax. In 2015 there were 58,900 working and the future growth of the profession is predicted to be strong, with numbers around 67,700 in 2020.