How to Become a Secretary(6 courses)
What do I need to study to become a Secretary?
Displaying 6 of 6 courses
Thanks for your enquiry
Definition of Secretary
The role of a Secretary is to provide administrative support to managers and executives. Duties vary depending on the size and nature of the company but clerical work is typically the Secretaryâ€™s prime focus; typing, filing, data entry and bookkeeping for example.
Often serving as receptionists, Secretaries greet clients and visitors and direct them according to who they need to see. They answer phones, direct calls, take messages and handle email correspondence. A Secretary is also responsible for making appointments, maintaining schedules, booking travel arrangements for senior staff and preparing expense reports.
A Secretary may manage the administration of conferences or meetings, organising catering and preparing documents as well as taking and distributing minutes. Assigned to either one specific person or assisting many, Secretaries might answer directly to a senior manager or executive or they could report to an administrative assistant.
What are the responsibilities of a Secretary ?
- Answering phones and directing calls, emails and messages.
- Managing appointments, meetings and travel arrangements.
- Greeting and assisting clients and visitors.
- Taking and transcribing dictation, memos and meeting minutes.
- Maintaining databases, spreadsheets and filing systems.
- Preparing reports, meeting notes, presentations and other documents.
- Scheduling maintenance of equipment and ordering office supplies.
Career Outlook for Secretary
The average age of people working as is 48 with 4.20% of them being male. 44.50% of are employed full-time and they typically work around 35 hours per week.
Unemployment is below average and, with A Bachelor Degree or higher, the average Community Worker can earn around $993 per week Before Tax. In 2015 there were 44,800 working and the future growth of the profession is predicted to be in decline, with numbers around 33,600 in 2020.