Give your career as a dental assistant the best possible start with this HLT45015 Certificate IV in Dental Assisting (Radiography and Oral Health Promotion Specialisation). The course will equip you with knowledge needed to pursue work in the specialisations of radiography and oral health promotion.
You will complete 250 hours of workplace training in addition to the online coursework to ensure you have a firm grasp on the practicalities and skills required for both the radiography and oral health promotion specialisations, in addition to general duties and administrative work required in a dental assistant role.
Foundation Education offers you the flexibility to make your studies work around your schedule, allowing you to balance coursework with your other commitments.
As a part of this course you will be required to complete a minimum of 250 hours of practical placement in a dental clinic.
You will need to have completed year 12, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points.
- Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended)
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above. Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download)
Please note that legislative radiation licensing requirements may apply to some elective units.
What You’ll Learn
In this dental assisting course, the units of competency you may study include:
- HLTDEN003 - Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTINF001 - Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTDEN001 - Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
- HLTINF002 - Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- BSBCUS401 - Coordinate implementation of customer service strategies
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
- HLTDEN002 - Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN007 - Apply the principles of radiation biology and protection in dental practice
- HLTDEN008 - Prepare to expose a prescribed dental radiographic image
- HLTDEN009 - Produce a prescribed dental radiographic image
- HLTDEN004 - Implement an individualised oral hygiene program
- HLTDEN010 - Implement an oral hygiene program for older people
- HLTDEN011 - Implement an oral health promotion program
- HLTINF003 - Implement and monitor infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS003 - Maintain work health and safety
- *HLTAID003 - Provide first aid
*This course contains a core unit, HLTAID003 Provide first aid, which must be completed through an external RTO. Foundation Education has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for this unit at a reduced price. Red Cross Australia is a third party training provider who conduct training and assessment services on behalf of Foundation Education.
Why study with Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drives the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.