Create, produce and present original contemporary art with the skills and experience built in this Bachelor of Performing Arts course from Edith Cowan University.
A foundation contemporary performing arts course combining technical and theoretic knowledge, this broad-focused course will equip you with broad skills in researching, creating, producing and presenting original performance art. With a wider perspective than a singular dance, theatre, design or music course, this holistic qualification focuses on all aspects of performance in context.
Your final year of study will allow you to choose a specialisation, giving you the opportunity to develop advanced skills in a particular field ahead of an exciting creative career.
In addition to providing practical opportunities for performance and the opportunity to enhance your artistic practice, this course will challenge you to think critically and creatively, and will help you build sound skills in communication, problem-solving and teamwork.
If you’re a creative soul with a need to express yourself, this qualification is your first step towards a rewarding and versatile career in performing arts.
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Have completed secondary education within the previous two years and hold a sufficient ATAR rank for this qualification; OR
- Have studied a higher education course since leaving secondary education, either recently or some time ago; OR
- Have completed a bridging or enabling course delivered by or on behalf of a higher education provider; OR
- Have completed or enrolled in but not completed a Diploma or Advanced Diploma course since leaving secondary school; OR
- Have professional or work experience that can demonstrate your readiness for higher education.
All applicants are required to attend an audition. This is inclusive of an interview component. Applicants will be assessed on their ability to meet the technical requirements of the course and their suitability for the industry.
What You’ll Learn
In this arts course, the subjects you may study include:
- Academic research and writing
- Arts practice and the internet
- Theory and practice of contemporary performance
- Arts management
Performance-making major subjects:
- Voice fundamentals
- Movement fundamentals
- Directing workshop
- Devising physical performance
Practice transition major subjects:
- Technical theatre 1
- Design development for performance
- Theatre workshop 1
- Vocal technique 1
- Research and computing skills
- Directing workshop
- Technical theatre 2
- Physical theatre – physical performance 1
- Dance styles 2
- Playwriting workshop 1
- Special topics 1
- Jazz dance
- Acting for camera
- Improvisation for performance
- Comic performance
Why study with Edith Cowan University?
Since opening in 1991, Edith Cowan University (ECU) has established itself as the go-to Australian university for a quality learning experience. Students graduate among some of the best in the world and have continued to serve society in many important roles.
ECU produces winners because they are a winner! In 2018 Times Higher Education ranked ECU in the world’s top 150 universities under 50 years old, and the Good Universities Guide has given them a 5-star rating for teaching quality 12 years straight.
From social work, youth work, nutrition, engineering, technology, management and more, ECU offer a host of undergraduate and postgraduate courses that’ll excel your career and expose you to new levels of success. Enquire today and see where an ECU qualification can lead you!
Students feel happy, well supported and well educated when they study with ECU, in fact, in the 2018 QILT survey, Edith Cowan University received the highest student experience rating of all Australian public universities.
When you study with ECU, you’ll have access to expert course advice, counselling, diversity and disability services, transnational and national program support, student success programs, careers and employability services... just to name a few.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- Western Australia: Mount Lawley