If you’re seeking a career that will truly enable you to make a difference, the Diploma of Chaplaincy from St Mark’s National Theological Centre could be the course for you.
Chaplains play an important role in a variety of environments and institutions throughout Australia. Acting as a link between the Christian community and the world at large, chaplains communicate with and support those in need, particularly in times of crisis or distress. It’s a career that’s both challenging and rewarding – one that allows you to bring together your faith and your passion for helping others.
This course is delivered through a blended learning approach, combining online work and assessments with classroom-based learning on campus in Canberra. Through two years of part-time study, you’ll cover everything from providing grief and loss support through to staging interventions in crisis situations. Upon graduation, you will have developed the strong pastoral and organisational skills you need to pursue a professional chaplaincy career anywhere in Australia.
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Have completed biblical and theological studies at a minimum of Certificate IV level, OR be able to demonstrate that you have a proficient level of biblical and theological knowledge; AND
- Be willing and able to arrange and pay for 10 hours of pastoral supervision (with a professional supervisor)
have sufficient literacy skills to read and engage with complex theological material and other literature related to chaplaincy; AND
- Provide a letter of sponsorship from a denominational senior clerical representative including:
- an endorsement of the student by the pastor or minister,
- a confirmation that the student has a solid biblical and theological knowledge,
- a confirmation of work/on-the-job experience in Chaplaincy (if being completed through your church); AND
- Be over 18 years of age; AND
- Meet the requirements for working with children; AND
- Complete a Police Check with the relevant authority.
What You’ll Learn
In this arts & humanities course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHAMIN001 - Provide chaplaincy services in response to spiritual and religious needs
- CHCCOM002 - Use Communication to build relationships
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHAMIN002 - Apply theological concepts in the context of client’s needs and beliefs
- CHAPPD001 - Implement holistic personal and professional development
- CHCCCS017 - Provide loss and grief support
- CHCCCS003 - Increase the safety of individuals at risk of suicide
- CHCDFV007 - Work with users of violence to effect change
- CHCMHS001 - Work with people with mental health issues
- CHAMIN003 - Provide pastoral interventions to people experiencing crisis reactions
- CHCLEG001 - Work legally and ethically
- CHCPAS002 - Provide pastoral and spiritual care
- CHCDFV001 - Recognise and respond appropriately to domestic and family violence
- CHCPRT001 - Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
Why study with St Mark's National Theological Centre?
Discover what theological learning is all about when you sign up to a course at St Mark’s National Theological Centre. Since 1957 St Mark’s has been a leader in theological learning, offering students from all different backgrounds a rich, vibrant and supportive educational environment. St Mark’s is a proud partner of Charles Sturt University (CSU) and offers nationally recognised and academically rigorous undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications in counselling, ministry and theology, pastoral studies plus more.
St Mark’s National Theological Centre pride themselves on offering a supportive and high-quality theological education experience, while keeping the students’ interest at the forefront at all times.
As a partner with CSU, students of St Mark’s will be able to access the same great range of support services, including counselling services for any support you may need along your study journey or in your personal life.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- Australia Capital Territory: Canberra