The Master of Communication from Deakin University equips students with the advanced knowledge and skills needed for higher-level careers in the communications and media industries.
Throughout the course, you’ll develop and hone your analytical, research and communication skills through a flexible and comprehensive course structure. You can choose to specialise or undertake cross-disciplinary units in the following areas: journalism, TV production, visual communication design, public relations or digital media. Under the guidance of an academic supervisor, you’ll also complete a professional research project designed for a business or creative audience.
This course is offered online or on-campus in Melbourne. It consists of 8 credit points in your specialisation option OR cross-disciplinary study; 2 credit points of research methods and 2 credit points of communication concepts; plus 4 credit points of an independent scholarly research project OR 2 credit points of electives or an independent professional practice project.
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements; AND
- Entry will be based on performance in:
- a Bachelor degree or other qualification at a higher AQF level in any discipline; OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent.
What You’ll Learn
In this communications course, the subjects you may study include:
- Communication Concepts
- Applied Research Methods for Communication
- Developing a Communication Research Project
- Academic Research Project 1
- Academic Research Project 2
- Academic Research Project 3
- Professional Research Project 1
- Professional Research Project 2
- Advertising Theory and Practice
- Digital Publishing
- Design and Digital Skills
- Designing for Web Environments
- Creative Enterprise Project
- Advertising Theory and Practice
- Design Thinking and Problem Solving
- Strategic Branding and Design
- Television Commercial Production
- Introduction to Digital Photography
Why study with Deakin University?
Established in 1974 as Australia’s first regional university in Victoria, Deakin University has consistently raised the bar in delivering quality tertiary education with a focus on excellent teaching and research.
The multi-award winning education provider teaches over 53,000 students a year, offering renowned courses that integrate real-world expertise and practical skills. Get recognised with Deakin in a range of industries, including nutrition, sports management, property management, law, business and more. Plus, they’ve have ranked in the top 2% by the acclaimed Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
As a student of Deakin, you’ll get support every step of the way along your learning journey!
They’ve got a range of on-campus facilities and online features to help ease the pressure of study, including on-campus childcare services, a medical centre with qualified nurses and doctors, free and confidential counselling (face-to-face or via phone) and more.
Deakin also offer advisers and resources to help develop your academic skills. Advisers are available on campus and online to help guide you in your research, assignment and study practices.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- Victoria: Melbourne Burwood