Jump into the world of crime and analyse the motivations behind criminal activity in this Bachelor of Social Science With a Major in Criminology degree from Swinburne Online.
By study this course, you will begin to understand why crimes are committed and how they impact society. Addressing psychology, law and social values, this industry recognised degree will give you a thorough education in the detection and prevention of crime, and enable you to examine a range of cultural criminology practices around the world. You will also cover policing issues within a criminology framework, looking in particular depth at training, selection and offender profiling.
Here's why Ashnita loves studying criminology with Swinburne Online.
Applicants must meet the following entry requirements to enrol in this course:
- Successful completion of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), or its equivalent, including units 3 and 4 in English with a minimum score of 25, and meeting the associated minimum ATAR score; OR
- Completion or partial completion of an approved tertiary qualification; OR
- Significant and relevant work experience
What You’ll Learn
In this criminology course, the subjects you will study include:
- Learning and communicating online
- Policing: systems and practice
- Corrections: systems and practice
- Introduction to forensic science
- Understanding the modern world
- Social research design: principles and methods
- Criminology: theory and practice
- Advanced topics in criminology
- Introduction to forensic psychology
- Sociological foundations
- Deviance, difference and conformity
- Sources of conflict and its resolution
You will also need to study 12 elective units.
Why study with Swinburne Online?
With strong links to industry and a focus on practical skills, Swinburne gives students an edge in the competitive job market. Placing in the prestigious QS Graduate Employability Rankings, Swinburne shapes graduates who are confident and competent in meeting the challenges of a fast-changing world. Over 100 years, Swinburne has educated more than 150,000 graduates in areas ranging from science, technology and engineering through health, education and business to media, design and innovation. Swinburne Online has drawn on more than 20 years’ experience in the online tertiary education space to help over 9,600 students graduate with an industry-recognised qualification.
As a Swinburne Online student you’ll have access to a range of support options to help you get the most out of your learning. A dedicated team of Student Advisors are available seven days a week to answer your questions – academic, technical or administrative. You’ll also be assigned an eLearning advisor who will be your academic point of contact for the duration of your course.