Study the Bachelor of Education (Primary) course and explore the latest techniques and tools needed to become a successful primary teacher. Run by education professionals, the course covers everything from language and literacy, health and physical education to curriculum planning – everything you need to become a role model to your students. Encompassing a practical component, this online undergraduate degree will give you a well-rounded education and the confidence to work as a teacher and help your students grow and learn.
Practical work placement
To successfully complete this course, you must undertake 81 days of practical work experience in a real classroom. The placement will give you the opportunity to hone your skills in real-world scenarios and build your confidence as a teacher.
Hear what teaching graduates have to say about Swinburne Online.
Applicants must meet the following entry requirements to enrol in this course:
- Successful completion of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), or its equivalent, including units 3 and 4 in English with a minimum score of 25, and meeting the associated minimum ATAR score; OR
- Completion or partial completion of an approved tertiary qualification; OR
- Significant and relevant work experience
What You’ll Learn
In this primary teaching course, the subjects you will study include:
- Learning and communicating online
- Understanding language and literacy
- Theories of teaching and learning
- Teaching and learning in the 21st century
- Develop literacy
- Contemporary perspectives of learning and development
- Sustainable education and perspectives
- Mathematics in the primary classroom
- Discovering science
- Supporting diversity and equity
- Curriculum and pedagogy for primary: practicum 3P
- Integrated studies
- Supporting inclusion for primary
- Teaching the humanities
- Introduction to curriculum planning and assessment: practicum 1
- The world of maths
- Indigenous education and perspectives
- Contemporary perspectives of learning and development for early childhood
- Mathematics in practice
- Understanding and supporting behaviour
- Curriculum, planning and assessment for primary: practicum 2
- Teaching literacy
- Teaching science and technology
- Health and physical education
- Teaching in Australian schools
- Arts education
- Assessment for primary
- Ready to teach professional experience: practicum 4
Students must also complete 4 elective units.
Why study with Swinburne Online?
With strong links to industry and a focus on practical skills, Swinburne gives students an edge in the competitive job market. Placing in the prestigious QS Graduate Employability Rankings, Swinburne shapes graduates who are confident and competent in meeting the challenges of a fast-changing world. Over 100 years, Swinburne has educated more than 150,000 graduates in areas ranging from science, technology and engineering through health, education and business to media, design and innovation. Swinburne Online has drawn on more than 20 years’ experience in the online tertiary education space to help over 9,600 students graduate with an industry-recognised qualification.
As a Swinburne Online student you’ll have access to a range of support options to help you get the most out of your learning. A dedicated team of Student Advisors are available seven days a week to answer your questions – academic, technical or administrative. You’ll also be assigned an eLearning advisor who will be your academic point of contact for the duration of your course.