The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50113) course offered online through Open Colleges is the ideal course for those who wish to work with children in daycare or preschool, who wish to upgrade their existing qualifications, or who wish to pursue a leadership role in a daycare centre.
This online diploma course will provide you with the skills and training to be able to plan and implement programs in early childhood services. You will develop the capabilities required to cope with the complex daily challenges involved in the management of childcare facilities. In most states, this qualification is the highest required to work at a director or service manager level.
Open Colleges students receive complimentary 12-month student membership to Early Childhood Australia (ECA) after successful completion of the first module, providing a range of benefits.
Gain practical skills
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50113) includes a work placement component to ensure that you graduate with a strong mix of practical work experience and academic foundation. The requirements of this course include 240 hours of structured workplace learning registered childcare facility.
You will also need to complete a First Aid Certificate to demonstrate competency for Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting (HLTAID004) at your own cost prior to undertaking your work placement. Additionally, you will need to be able to meet the physical requirements of workplace performance such as manual handling and lifting.
There are no deadlines and no classrooms – you study at your own pace, in your own time.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have completed Year 10; AND
- Have vocational training and/or work experience in a relevant role; AND
- Be aged atleast 18 years or over
Applicants may also be required to provide a Criminal Record Check, or other statutory checks required by the individual workplace.
What You’ll Learn
In this early childhood education course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCLEG001 – Work legally and ethically
- CHCECE009 – Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- CHCECE001 – Develop cultural competence
- CHCDIV002 – Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCPRT001 – Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- CHCECE002 – Ensure the health and safety of children
- CHCECE005 – Provide care for babies and toddlers
- CHCECE003 – Provide care for children
- CHCECE007 – Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- CHCECE004 – Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
- CHCECE023 – Analyse information to inform learning
- CHCECE017 – Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood
- CHCECE018 – Nurture creativity in children
- CHCECE020 – Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour
- CHCECE021 – Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
- CHCECE024 – Design and implement the curriculum to foster children's learning and development
- CHCECE026 – Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
- CHCECE022 – Promote children's agency
- HLTWHS003 – Maintain work health and safety
- CHCECE025 – Embed sustainable practices in service operations
- CHCECE016 – Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children
- CHCECE019 – Facilitate compliance in an education and care service
- CHCMGT003 – Lead the work team
- CHCPOL002 – Develop and implement policy
- HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
- BSBSUS501 – Develop workplace policy and procedures for sustainability
- CHCECE014 – Comply with family day care administration requirements
- CHCECE015 – Attend to daily functions in home-based child care
Why study with Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. Most courses are delivered online or via blended learning, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.