Start a meaningful new career as a religious leader and educator with this practical Master of Professional Studies in Theology course from Australian Catholic University.
Designed for students seeking to enhance their leadership capacity in an educational or church setting, this course will deepen your understanding of Christian theology and help you develop advanced skills, knowledge and engagement with the discipline of theology.
Catholic organisations have identified a need for professionals to better understand and promote the mission, identity, and ethos of the Catholic Church. This course has been uniquely designed to address this need, ensuring your study is relevant and effective. While this qualification is not a teaching degree, it will equip you with the skills, insights and leadership abilities help you support and shape a new generation of faithful.
In this course, you’ll choose from a diverse range of subjects to shape your learning, including contemporary Christian practice, early Christianity, liturgy, Christian thought, ancient languages, ethics or philosophy. You’ll have the opportunity to apply your knowledge, with study tours available for students of this course.
If you’re passionate about working with youth and new learners, this course will equip you with the skills, knowledge and insights required to be an effective leader and create real change.
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Have a minimum of one year’s professional experience in the Catholic sector; AND
- Hold a bachelor’s degree; OR
- Hold any one of the Graduate Certificate in Catholic Studies, Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies, Graduate Certificate in Leadership and Catholic Culture, Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies, Graduate Certificate in Religious Education, or Postgraduate Certificate in Education or equivalent.
What You’ll Learn
In this theology course, the subjects you may study include:
- Biblical studies
- Introducing the scripture
- Foundations of Christian faith
- Introducing theology
- Ethics in a faith-based context
- A synoptic gospel
- Celebrating feasts and seasons
- Foundations in liturgy
- Liturgical music
- Sacraments of initiation
- Jesus the Christ
- The early Christian world
- Introducing church life
- Theology elective
- The problem of evil
- Bible lands study tour
- Literature of the Hebrew Bible
- New Testament Christology
- Pauline literature
- The gospel of John: Theology and Spirituality
- Gospels of the liturgical year
- Foundations of social justice
- Issues in Christian ethics
- Spirituality in the Christian tradition
- Celebrating liturgy today: Exploring the ritual enactment of faith
- Catholic sexual ethics
- Theology, social justice and mission
- Creation, grace and salvation
- Fundamentals in theology
- Sacraments and sacramentality
- Becoming church today: Identity and mission
- Liturgical theology
- Theology of marriage and holy orders
- A theology of intimacy: Human flourishing and the tenderness of God
- Special studies in Theology A
- Special studies in Theology B
- Enhancing Catholic identity: Introducing the Leuven project
- Recontextualisation: The challenge for authentic transformation
- Charism and spirituality of a religious congregation: Handing on the tradition
- Catholic leadership and culture study tour
- Theology study tour
- Living Catholic social teaching in Asia study tour
- Introduction to philosophical and theological research
- Theology project C
Why study with Australian Catholic University?
Since opening their doors in January of 1991, the Australian Catholic University (ACU) has been educating students in a range of fields; from arts and humanities to health, education, leadership, social work, theology and more.
When you sign up to a course at ACU, you’re not just another number, they see each student as a whole, offering you an educational experience that’ll empower you and prepare you for success.
Whether you choose to study online or at one of ACU’s many upbeat campuses, you’re sure to receive the support you need to succeed and thrive with your studies.
Students of ACU can access their Academic Skills Unit, which will help build your skills around exam prep, offer study tips, writing tips and more. Access online resources, participate in workshops, ask questions via their ‘Ask an Adviser’ online services, book a consult, or simply drop-in.
Their team of staff and researchers are all about offering students an education with greater purpose – empowering students to achieve goals and accomplish something great!
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: