Develop advanced skills in computer science for an exciting professional engineering career with this Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) Honours course from Edith Cowan University.
Designed for students seeking to start a career in engineering, this qualification offers the essential skills, knowledge and experience required to work in the exciting field of computer engineering. In this course, you’ll develop advanced knowledge of digital and analogue electronic systems, computer architecture, software design and hardware-software interfacing, and will graduate with the skills to develop microprocessors, design computer systems, write programs and manage data networks.
With a focus on building industry-relevant skills, this course offers opportunities for teamwork, practical experience and leadership work. You’ll graduate with strong skills in analysis, critical thinking, project management and leadership, and have the opportunity to complete work experience, connecting engineering theory and practice.
This qualification is accredited by Engineers Australia and is recognised nationally. If you’re looking for a career in engineering and want a strong theoretical and practical base, this qualification is your next step.
You may be eligible to apply for this course at ECU if you meet the following requirements:
- Hold a minimum indicative ATAR of 82 (or equivalent); OR
- Have undertaken a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) qualification at the appropriate level; OR
- Have previously completed units of study at University level; OR
- Hold a STAT result that meets ECU’s higher entry requirements; AND
- Meet ECU’s English Competency requirements and special admissions requirements (see below).
Please note that School Leaver applicants will require completion of WACE or equivalent.
Special Admissions Requirements: All applicants are required to have Mathematics: Methods ATAR, with equivalents considered, and Physics ATAR or Engineering Studies ATAR, with equivalents considered. It is desirable that all applicants have Mathematics: Specialist ATAR, with equivalents considered.
What You’ll Learn
In this engineering course, the subjects you may study include:
- Introduction to engineering
- Electrical engineering 1A
- Mathematics 1
- Engineering drawing and computer-aided design
- Engineering mechanics
- Mathematics 2
- Materials and manufacturing 1
- Electrical engineering 1B
- Programming fundamentals
- Digital electronics
- Engineering innovation and ethics
- Engineering systems
- Microprocessor systems
- Operating systems
- Computer architecture
- Signals and systems
- Instrumentation and measurement
- Data communications and computer networks
- Foundations of software engineering
- Communication systems 1
- Real-time embedded systems
- Digital signal processing
- Analog electronics
- Engineering practicum
- Robotics 1
- Control systems
- Project development
- Engineering honours thesis 1
- Engineering management
- Industrial control
- Engineering project
- Engineering honours thesis 2
- Power systems 1
- Wireless communication
- Electronic circuit design
- Electrical machines and transformers
- Propagation and antennae
- Communication systems 2
- Telecommunication networks
- Process control
- Power electronics
- Multivariate calculus
- Data structures
- Object-oriented programming with C++
- Internet and Java programming
- Distributed systems
Why study with Edith Cowan University?
Since opening in 1991, Edith Cowan University (ECU) has established itself as the go-to Australian university for a quality learning experience. Students graduate among some of the best in the world and have continued to serve society in many important roles.
ECU produces winners because they are a winner! In 2018 Times Higher Education ranked ECU in the world’s top 150 universities under 50 years old, and the Good Universities Guide has given them a 5-star rating for teaching quality 12 years straight.
From social work, youth work, nutrition, engineering, technology, management and more, ECU offer a host of undergraduate and postgraduate courses that’ll excel your career and expose you to new levels of success. Enquire today and see where an ECU qualification can lead you!
Students feel happy, well supported and well educated when they study with ECU, in fact, in the 2018 QILT survey, Edith Cowan University received the highest student experience rating of all Australian public universities.
When you study with ECU, you’ll have access to expert course advice, counselling, diversity and disability services, transnational and national program support, student success programs, careers and employability services... just to name a few.