The Master of Laws from Deakin University is a comprehensive course focusing on international commercial law and corporate regulation.
Throughout this course, you’ll develop advanced research, analytical, evaluative and communication skills and a fundamental base of knowledge on important areas of the Australian and international legal systems, as well as recent professional practice developments. You’ll cover new developments in major areas of human activity (internet technology, health, financial services), and increased regulation in traditional areas (natural resources, dispute resolution, human rights).
Delivered online or on-campus in Melbourne, this course consists of 4 core units and 4 elective units. Your study will lead to completion of a significant independent research project that culminates in a major creative work and exegesis.
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements; AND
- Entry will be based on performance in:
- a degree in the same discipline (LLB (Hons), JD or equivalent) leading to admission to practice; OR
- an LLB or equivalent in the same discipline leading to admission to practice and two years relevant work experience.
What You’ll Learn
In this law course, the subjects you may study include:
- Foundations of Law
- Research Methodology
- Research Thesis
- Principles of Income Tax Law
- Commercial and Corporations Law
- Business Taxation Law and Policy
- Corporate Insolvency Law and Policy
- Corporate Governance
- Health Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: Principles and Practice
- Financial Services Regulation
- Venture Law Clinic
- Human Rights Law and Policy
- Superannuation Law and Policy
- Civil and Commercial Law Clinic
- Public International Law
- International Financial Crime
Why study with Deakin University?
Established in 1974 as Australia’s first regional university in Victoria, Deakin University has consistently raised the bar in delivering quality tertiary education with a focus on excellent teaching and research.
The multi-award winning education provider teaches over 53,000 students a year, offering renowned courses that integrate real-world expertise and practical skills. Get recognised with Deakin in a range of industries, including nutrition, sports management, property management, law, business and more. Plus, they’ve have ranked in the top 2% by the acclaimed Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
As a student of Deakin, you’ll get support every step of the way along your learning journey!
They’ve got a range of on-campus facilities and online features to help ease the pressure of study, including on-campus childcare services, a medical centre with qualified nurses and doctors, free and confidential counselling (face-to-face or via phone) and more.
Deakin also offer advisers and resources to help develop your academic skills. Advisers are available on campus and online to help guide you in your research, assignment and study practices.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- Victoria: Melbourne Burwood