Take the next step in your counselling, coaching or management role by studying this Graduate Diploma of Counselling course.
Designed for students with a background in counselling, psychology or psychotherapy, this course offers a professional development opportunity for practitioners seeking rapid career progression. It also offers an opportunity for professionals working in community and business settings to develop their work using theories and principles of positive psychology and coaching.
With a blend of on-campus and online delivery, and an optional accelerated graduation track, this course is flexible for students continuing work or seeking to develop new skills without the commitment of long-term study. This course also acts as a pathway to the Master of Counselling and Applied Psychotherapy for students seeking further development opportunities.
If you’re seeking a professional challenge, want to build your skills and are interested in expanding your counselling knowledge, this course offers a practical and rewarding new opportunity.
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Hold a diploma in a related field and have four years or work or volunteering experience in a related field; OR
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in a unrelated field and have two years of work or volunteering experience in a related field; AND
- Complete an interview.
What You’ll Learn
In this counselling course, the subjects you may study include:
- Understanding social and emotional behaviour across the lifespan: An introduction to developmental psychology
- Theories and practices of counselling
- Practicum 1: Advanced therapeutic communication
- The counsellor: Ethics, legal and professional issues
- Mental health: Assessment and intervention in therapy
- Practicum 2: Clinical placement
- Positive psychology and coaching
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Working with complex presentations
- Working with young people
- Introduction to somatics
- Responding to complex trauma and sexual abuse
Why study with Jansen Newman Institute?
The Jansen Newman Institute (JNI) is a highly regarded education provider offering programs in applied social science, counselling and psychotherapy, community services and more.
With a focus on experiential learning, JNI’s nationally-recognised and industry-designed courses ensure that students graduate with both the theoretical and practical skills that are in demand in their field.
JNI is part of the Think: Education Group, which includes some of Australia’s most respected and iconic specialist colleges, and together have educated over 9,500 students.
As a student of the Jansen Newman Institute, you will receive extensive student support from your course advisor and mentor.
Have one-on-one study support to help you create goals, study plans and develop strong study skills. You will also have access to over 70 million articles from one of the largest online libraries in Australia!
JNI are all about creating a supportive learning environment to help you thrive! Dedicated Learning and Academic Skills (LAS) support staff are on hand help you be more effective in your study and build your skills. From writing essays and reports to goal setting and exam prep – they’ll guide you through it all (available online and on campus).
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- New South Wales: Sydney