Help people unlock optimum health and build in-demand skills for an exciting career in nutrition by studying this Bachelor of Health Science (Nutritional Medicine) course.
With a focus on the causes and determinants of poor health and wellbeing, this course offers the foundation knowledge and skills required to work in the exciting field of nutrition for good health. Grounding nutritional study in a health framework, this course will enable you to diagnose, treat and educate a range of patients and assist people in achieving and maintaining health.
If you’re interested in health and want a rewarding career working with people, this course may be for you.
With a strong focus on practical workplace learning, this course offers placement units to ensure you graduate with the experience and personal insights required to work in this challenging and dynamic field.
Approved by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency, this qualification is an ideal starting point for anyone seeking a professional career in nutritional science, clinical nutrition, public health or health promotion.
Study a Bachelor of Health Science (Nutritional Medicine)
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Year 12 or equivalent with ATAR 60; OR
- Demonstrated ability to undertake study at this level, comprising relevant work experience or formal or informal study or written submission to demonstrate reasonable prospect of success.
Before undertaking clinical work students must hold a valid national police clearance and first aid certificate.
For international students, English language proficiency to equivalent IELTS 6.5 (academic) with no skills band less than 5.5 is also required.
What You’ll Learn
In this nutrition course, the subjects you may study include:
- Anatomy and physiology 1
- Counselling and communication skills
- Anatomy and physiology 2
- Biochemistry 1
- Anatomy and physiology 3
- Research and evidence-based practice
- General pathology
- Biochemistry 2
- Pathophysiology and clinical diagnosis 1
- Pathophysiology and clinical diagnosis 2
- Pathophysiology and clinical diagnosis 3
- Drug and integrated pharmacology
- Professional practice
- History and philosophy of complementary and alternative medicine
- Nutritional foundations 1
- Food as medicine
- Food science, systems and policy
- Nutrition, society and public health
- Nutritional foundations 2
- Nutritional biochemistry
- Acupuncture point location and theory 2
- Clinical studies 1
- Lifespan nutrition
- Health promotion
- Clinical studies 2
- Nutritional clinical practicum 1
- Nutritional clinical practicum 2
- Nutritional therapeutics 1
- Clinical studies 3
- Health assessment and diagnostic techniques
- Nutritional therapeutics 2
- Nutritional clinical practicum 2
- Nutritional clinical practicum 3
- Dietary analysis and planning
- Advanced nutrition medicine
- Integrative complementary medicine 1
- Integrative complementary medicine 2
Why study with Southern School of Natural Therapies?
The Southern School of Natural Therapies is equipped with over 50 years of academic excellence; making is the longest established school of its kind. Backed by a teaching staff that includes some of Australia’s leading lectures and practitioners, SSNT is the place to be when it comes to learning about complementary and alternative medicine.
Their courses in Health Science, Naturopathy, Nutritional Medicine, Clinical Myotherapy and more will take you from student to graduate practitioner, all under the expert supervision of some of Australia’s best clinicians and trainers!
The Southern School of Natural Therapies is part of Think: Education Group which includes some of Australia’s most respected and iconic specialist colleges, and together have educated over 9,500 students.
At the start of each semester the Southern School of Natural Therapies host a detailed orientation program to help new students settle in and prepare for their new learning experience. The program includes a range of activities, social events (includes the annual rooftop party), and a showbag full of freebies and useful goodies.
With a dedication to providing optimal wellbeing to its students, SSNT offer them full access to their Think Wellbeing Centre on the Fitzroy campus. Receive a discounted student rate and enjoy a range of professional natural therapy treatments.
All students will also have access to the convenient online student portal, student services team and free and confidential counselling.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- Victoria: Melbourne