Learn about the complex world of national security and counter terrorism with this online degree by Swinburne Online. By studying the Bachelor of Social Science With a Major in Security and Counter Terrorism , you will develop analytical and critical thinking skills, and explore topics such as international politics, Australian foreign policy and international relations.
This online course will equip you with the skills and theory to be able to manage risks, develop policies and advise on security issues within a domestic and international framework. You will study terrorism, its causes and effects; and learn about the problems that arise through global governance.
Your comprehensive understanding of these topics will allow you to approach real-world scenarios from a range of perspectives. You will graduate with in-depth knowledge on not just Australia’s foreign policy and international partnerships, but also a keen understanding of international events, issues and political systems.
Hear what graduates had to say about their Swinburne Online experience.
Applicants must meet the following entry requirements to enrol in this course:
- Successful completion of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), or its equivalent, including units 3 and 4 in English with a minimum score of 25, and meeting the associated minimum ATAR score; OR
- Completion or partial completion of an approved tertiary qualification; OR
- Significant and relevant work experience
What You’ll Learn
In this security and counter terrorism course, the subjects you will study include:
- Learning and communicating online
- Australian foreign policy
- International relations and security studies
- War and peace in the 20th century
- Australian politics
- Crisis points: global challenges
- International politics
- Dictators, democrats and dynasties: comparative politics
- Sources of conflict and its resolution
- Critical perspectives on terrorism
- Global history
- History, politics and human rights
You will also need to complete 12 elective units.
Why study with Swinburne Online?
With strong links to industry and a focus on practical skills, Swinburne gives students an edge in the competitive job market. Placing in the prestigious QS Graduate Employability Rankings, Swinburne shapes graduates who are confident and competent in meeting the challenges of a fast-changing world. Over 100 years, Swinburne has educated more than 150,000 graduates in areas ranging from science, technology and engineering through health, education and business to media, design and innovation. Swinburne Online has drawn on more than 20 years’ experience in the online tertiary education space to help over 9,600 students graduate with an industry-recognised qualification.
As a Swinburne Online student you’ll have access to a range of support options to help you get the most out of your learning. A dedicated team of Student Advisors are available seven days a week to answer your questions – academic, technical or administrative. You’ll also be assigned an eLearning advisor who will be your academic point of contact for the duration of your course.