Do you want a job that not only changes the lives of others, but your own as well? A Bachelor of Social Work from Edith Cowan University will get you ready for a fulfilling career that’s entirely focused on making a positive impact on people’s lives.
Throughout this comprehensive course, you’ll develop your professional competencies and get prepared to work within a complex, uncertain and contested social work practice environment. You’ll cover everything from social work theory, practice and research to politics, policy, law and ethics, learning how to apply your knowledge to regional, rural and remote settings. You’ll also undertake two 14-week social work field placements to gain vital hands-on experience.
Offered both online and on-campus at ECU South West (Bunbury), this degree is specifically designed to prepare students to meet the national Practice Standards for Social Workers. After four years of full-time study (or eight years part-time), you’ll graduate ready to make a difference in the world as a professional social worker.
You may be eligible to apply for this course at ECU if you meet the following requirements:
- Hold a minimum indicative of ATAR of 70 (or equivalent); OR
- Have undertaken a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) qualification at the appropriate level; OR
- Have previously completed units of study at University level; OR
- Hold a STAT result that meets ECU’s standard requirements; OR
- Have completed a bridging or enabling course; AND
- Meet ECU’s English Competency requirements.
Please note that School Leaver applicants will require completion of WACE or equivalent.
If none of the above applies to you, but you have work and life experience, you may be eligible to apply via ECU’s Experience-Based Entry Scheme.
What You’ll Learn
In this social work course, the subjects you may study include:
- Social Inclusion and People with Intellectual Disabilities
- Psychology for Social Work
- Introduction to Professional Practice
- Introduction to Social Research
- Rural, Regional and Remote Community Development
- Philosophy, Knowledge and Ethics
- Culture and Daily Life
- Introduction to Australian Society
- Human Behaviour in the Social Environment
- Addictions and Practice
- Aboriginal Histories of the Present
- Gender, Families and Professional Practice
- Theory and Practice for Child Protection
- Australian Politics and Policy
- Community Health and Well-being
- Human Rights and Social Justice
- Applied Research Methods
- Organisational Contexts
- Social Work Theory and Practice 1: Advanced Interpersonal Skills
- Social Work and Mental Health
- Field Placement 1
- Social Work Theory and Practice 2: A Focus on Theories
- Social Policy
- Legal and Ethical Practice
- Social Work Theory and Practice 3: Collective Interventions
- Social Work Project
- Field Placement 2
- Social Work Theory and Practice 4: Activism and Social Change
Why study with Edith Cowan University?
Since opening in 1991, Edith Cowan University (ECU) has established itself as the go-to Australian university for a quality learning experience. Students graduate among some of the best in the world and have continued to serve society in many important roles.
ECU produces winners because they are a winner! In 2018 Times Higher Education ranked ECU in the world’s top 150 universities under 50 years old, and the Good Universities Guide has given them a 5-star rating for teaching quality 12 years straight.
From social work, youth work, nutrition, engineering, technology, management and more, ECU offer a host of undergraduate and postgraduate courses that’ll excel your career and expose you to new levels of success. Enquire today and see where an ECU qualification can lead you!
Students feel happy, well supported and well educated when they study with ECU, in fact, in the 2018 QILT survey, Edith Cowan University received the highest student experience rating of all Australian public universities.
When you study with ECU, you’ll have access to expert course advice, counselling, diversity and disability services, transnational and national program support, student success programs, careers and employability services... just to name a few.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- Western Australia: South West (Bunbury)