Set yourself up with the tools for success in the early childhood education sector with this Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) course from Edith Cowan University.
Perfect for empathetic and caring individuals, the course emphasises the importance of building positive and respectful relationships with children, families, communities and colleagues to create an environment where children are engaged and productive learners.
Graduates of this course will be prepared to start their career with confidence in a range of settings, including teaching children from birth to 3 years of age, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, pre-primary and years 1-3 in a primary school.
You’ll learn crucial skills to succeed in the industry, including how to develop, implement and assess socially inclusive curricula, use research and reflection to creates links from theory to practice and draw on the diverse educational and life experiences of students in the course.
This course includes an extensive program of professional practice in school and early childhood settings, giving you with practical hands-on experience in a learning environment. You’ll have shared responsibility for the education, safety and wellbeing of children in schools and early childhood settings, requiring you to meet the high professional standards and personal ethics the teaching profession demands.
You may be eligible to apply for a postgraduate course at ECU if you meet the following:
- Hold a Bachelor Degree from a recognised Australian Institution (or equivalent); AND
- Meet ECU’s English Competency requirements and any other special admission requirements for the course
What You’ll Learn
In this teaching course, subjects you may study include:
Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students (LANTITE) units:
- Personal literacy
- Personal numeracy
Year 1 - Semester 1
- Language and literacy birth to 5 years
- Constructing early childhood curriculum
- Investigating young children's holistic learning and development
- Mathematics and technologies for young children
Year 1 - Semester 2
- Science for young children
- Early literacy 5-8 years
- Mathematics in the early years of school: 5 to 8 years
- Early childhood practice and pedagogy for children 5-8
Year 2 - Semester 1
- Physical education, health and wellbeing for young children (healthy, active and safe children)
- Humanities and social sciences birth to 8 years
- Visual arts and music education in early childhood
- Effective pedagogy and practice in early childhood contexts
Year 2 - Semester 2
- Strategies for teaching Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- Contemporary and comparative perspectives in early childhood education
- Dance, drama and media arts education in early childhood
- Leading and managing in early childhood contexts
Why study with Edith Cowan University?
Since opening in 1991, Edith Cowan University (ECU) has established itself as the go-to Australian university for a quality learning experience. Students graduate among some of the best in the world and have continued to serve society in many important roles.
ECU produces winners because they are a winner! In 2018 Times Higher Education ranked ECU in the world’s top 150 universities under 50 years old, and the Good Universities Guide has given them a 5-star rating for teaching quality 12 years straight.
From social work, youth work, nutrition, engineering, technology, management and more, ECU offer a host of undergraduate and postgraduate courses that’ll excel your career and expose you to new levels of success. Enquire today and see where an ECU qualification can lead you!
Students feel happy, well supported and well educated when they study with ECU, in fact, in the 2018 QILT survey, Edith Cowan University received the highest student experience rating of all Australian public universities.
When you study with ECU, you’ll have access to expert course advice, counselling, diversity and disability services, transnational and national program support, student success programs, careers and employability services... just to name a few.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- Western Australia: Mount Lawley