Correctional officer job advertisement
This sample job advertisement for a correctional officer has an accompanying correctional officer sample resume and correctional officer sample cover letter specifically written for the position to help you put together a winning job application.
The State Correctional Services Agency operates adult correctional centres in Western Australia. The prisons under the jurisdiction of the SCSA cater for prisoners of all classifications – minimum, medium and maximum security, both male and female.
The SCSA has opportunities for experienced Correctional Officers to join the team at the Perth City Correctional Centre.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Safe and humane management of prisoners
- Interacting with prisoners to aid in rehabilitation programs
- Applying rules in a consistent and fair manner
- Monitoring the integrity of perimeter, locks, ventilation, etc
- Contacting centre operations and requesting personnel in the event of an emergency
- Overseeing inmate work programs and leisure activities
- Organising and overseeing prisoner transport
- Restraining inmates when necessary
- Recognising volatile situations and defusing where possible
You will need:
- Minimum Certificate III in Correctional Practice
- Willingness to work to a 28-day roster, working some weekends and holidays
- Demonstrated professional and effective people management
- Excellent communication skills
- To be fit and healthy
- Willingness to work in high-risk situations and an emergency environment
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and within a tight-knit team
- A capacity to deal with hostility or threats
- Excellent dispute resolution and problem-solving skills
Successful candidates will be subject to a 3-week paid induction. Eligible candidates will have previous government Long Service Leave carried over.
If you have a passion for helping prisoners rehabilitate safely and effectively, and seek a challenging role with an enthusiastic team, please send resume and cover letter to Tom D. Harry, SCSA Regional HR Director: [email protected] Call (08) 6435 3628 for more information.