Kickstart your career in the fitness with this Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315) from the Australian Institute of Fitness (AIPT) – designed to give you the hands-on experience needed to enter the fitness industry!
This accredited course in fitness gives you the flexibility to complete the theory component in the comfort of your own home, while the practical component of your course will be taught by fitness professionals, in gyms, at a campus location near you.
With this course you can choose to specialise as a Group Exercise Instructor or Gym Instructor, either way, you’ll receive a practical way of training to ensure you have the skills, confidence and know-how to help clients achieve their fitness goals.
Group Exercise Instructor
By opting to specialise in group exercise instruction, you’ll be able to demonstrate and lead a variety of sessions for a mix of ages and fitness levels. These sessions may be freestyle, pre-choreographed or circuit style. While group sessions have less individual interaction, you are there to ensure participants work up a sweat and get results!
Does poor form make you sad? Make your specialisation in gym instruction and ensure a safe workout zone that’ll give real rewards and benefits. Learn to offer gym clients tailored assessments, technique correction and how to develop and demonstrate programs, as well as how to maintain a gym facility and handle customer enquiries.
Practical Work Placement
To successfully complete this course, you must undertake a total of 30 hours of practical work experience with a mentor in order to gain real-world skills. AIPT will pair you with one of their expert mentors – a fitness professional – in their gym or fitness studio. Alternatively, you will have the opportunity to select your own AIPT-approved mentor.
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the online part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points.
- Internet: High-speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended).
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above. Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome.
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download
First Aid Certificate
This course contains a core unit, HLTAID003 Provide first aid, which must be completed through an external RTO. Australian Institute of Personal Trainers has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for this unit at a reduced price. Red Cross Australia is a third party training provider who conduct training and assessment services on behalf of the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers. Please note that the cost of this external training is not included in any of your course fees. Upon completion, you will need to submit a copy of your first aid certificate in order for us to process a Credit Transfer against this unit on your student record. If you have chosen your own third party provider, you must submit a certified copy of your certificate. If you have undertaken training with Red Cross Australia, you must forward Australian Institute of Personal Trainers the email you receive which contains the electronic copy of your certificate.
Working with Children Check
In order to complete your practical component, you must hold a current “working with children check” (card) issued by the relevant government department in the state or territory in which you will undertake this course.
What You’ll Learn
In this fitness course, the units of competency you may study include:
- SISFFIT002 - Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT001 - Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT003 - Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT004 - Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT014 - Instruct exercise to older clients
- SISFFIT005 - Provide healthy eating information
- SISXCCS001 - Provide quality service
- SISXFAC001 - Maintain equipment for activities
- SISXIND001 - Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments
- BSBRSK401 - Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- HLTAID003 - Provide first aid*
- HLTWHS001 -Participate in workplace health and safety
- SISFFIT007 - Instruct group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT011 - Instruct approved community fitness programs
- BSBRSK401 - Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- HLTAD003 - Provide first aid*
- SISFFIT006 - Conduct fitness appraisals
Why study with Australian Institute of Personal Trainers?
The Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT) are experts in wellness, nutrition and fitness, and equip their students with the best in online and face-to-face education. Established in 1999 alongside their partner Registered Training Organisation, Foundation Education, they have grown from a handful of campuses in Queensland to over 150 campuses and an extensive network of Mentors Australia-wide. When you study with AIPT you have access to:
Dedicated student support
Access to a dedicated team of Support Officers to make the transition into study as straightforward as possible.
Largest network of locations
We have the industry's largest network of gyms across Australia, ensuring we're in your area.
Flexible delivery options
AIPT caters to all learning styles and offers flexible study options to suit everyone’s schedules and budget, with a focus on practical learning and hands-on experience.
Throughout your studies as an AIPT student, you will have complete access to their expert education team – a group of mentors who are dedicating to answering any of your questions or study queries. Mentors are seasoned fitness professionals with years of experience in the industry and can be contacted via email, online or over the phone. As an AIPT student, you will also have access to the My eCampus learning portal where you will be able to download course content and submit assessments.