With more and more awareness being raised around mental health in the community, there’s an increasing demand for well-trained mental health professionals. If you already have some experience in the industry and are ready to explore the next step in your career, a Diploma of Mental Health (CHC53315) from National College Australia is the ideal course for you.
Delivered online or through mixed learning, this course puts you in charge of your own study plan. Choose to study 100% online with all course material available at a click of a button, or opt for mixed mode learning and have NCA post out all books and reading material for you to go over
Through 15 core units and five electives, completed over a self-paced period up to 18 months, you’ll cover all the essential components of mental health work. From facilitating recovery and support services through to managing trauma and grief and assessing individual clients’ needs, you’ll learn all the cornerstones of professional mental health practice.
In addition to your coursework, you’ll gain highly valuable experience through a minimum of 160 hours of work placement, allowing you to develop and practise hands-on skills in the real-life work environment. Upon completion of your course, you’ll be ready to explore new areas of mental health practice and pursue a truly rewarding career path in supporting others. So why not enquire today?
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
Students are required to have access to the internet and a computer. You'll also need basic computer skills, such as using Microsoft Word documents, using the internet, downloading and uploading documents, using a digital camera, and downloading and saving videos.
You are eligible to enrol if you reside in Australia, and are an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident. Unfortunately, NCA does not accept Student Visa 500 through their College as they are not CRICOS registered. NCA will check all other Visas for study eligibility via VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online). A Course Advisor can confirm these details with you.
What You’ll Learn
In this mental health course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCMHS004 - Work collaboratively with the care network and other services
- HLTWHS004 - Manage work health and safety
- CHCDIV002 - Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCMHS005 - Provide services to people with co-existing mental health and alcohol and other drugs issues
- CHCCSL007 - Support counselling clients in decision-making processes
- CHCMHS002 - Establish self-directed recovery relationships
- CHCMHS003 - Provide recovery-oriented mental health services
- CHCMHS010 - Implement recovery-oriented approaches to complexity
- CHCMHS006 - Facilitate the recovery process with the person, family and carers
- CHCADV005 - Provide systems advocacy services
- CHCPRP001 - Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
- CHCMHS009 - Provide early intervention, health prevention and promotion programs
- CHCMHS011 - Assess and promote social, emotional and physical wellbeing
- CHCMHS012 - Provide support to develop wellness plans and advanced directives
- CHCAOD004 - Assess needs of clients with alcohol and other drugs issues
- CHCMHS013 - Implement trauma-informed care
- CHCCCS017 - Provide loss and grief support
- CHCPOL003 - Research and apply evidence to practice
- CHCPRP003 - Reflect on and improve own professional practice
Why study with National College Australia?
Looking to build skills that’ll help make a difference in your community? Turn to the National College Australia (NCA) – they’ve got nationally accredited courses in mental health, aged care, community services and more!
NCA’s user-friendly learning platform makes online study a breeze. Simply log-on and learn at your own pace and convenience. Plus qualified educators will be there to guide you along your learning journey, from start to finish.
Enquire about a course and start studying sooner – a year from now you’d wish you had started today!
With dedicated Course Assessors, Work Placement Specialists and Client Services reps, you can trust that when you study with National College Australia, you’ll be part of a team that is committed to getting you on the right path to success.
Studying online doesn’t mean studying alone; NCA has set up a learning support system that will see you get one-on-one coaching from your Assessor. Plus you’ll get access InPlace - a student work placement system, have flexible study plans and peer support via online student network portals.
NCA has you covered with a range of services to ensure you feel supported every step of the way.