Got a passion for sport and recreation and a strong head for business? We’ve got the right fitness course for you! Providing you with an understanding of the daily operations of a fitness centre, this Diploma of Sport and Recreation Management (SIS50115) from the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT), readies you for a career in management that draws on your skills to plan and manage events, fitness programs and develop a fitness business.
Armed with this qualification and your new set of practical skills you’ll be able to manage a successful and thriving fitness centre or facility. Learn how to coordinate client service activities, develop marketing strategies, obtain sponsorships, manage finances, recruit and lead staff, maintain WHS systems and more. AIPT is all about giving their students a competitive edge, which is why this course offers you electives that’ll help build your knowledge of event planning, fitness equipment management and more.
Delivered online by AIPT, your coursework covers a wide range of competencies, equipping you with the knowledge needed to manage staff, develop marketing plans, secure sponsorship, coordinate client services, organise events, develop business relationships, manage stock, develop business plans, manage finances and oversee the daily operation of a fitness centre.
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
- Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended)
- Windows : Operating system - Windows XP or Vista 7 or above. Internet Browser - Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser - latest version of Google Chrome
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download
Candidates must have access to a Sport and Recreation Facility as well as a Supervisor/Manager to observe and sign-off on practical assessments.
What You’ll Learn
In this sports management course, the units of competency you may study include:
- BSBADM502B - Manage meetings
- BSBMGT515A - Manage operational plan
- SITXMGT501 - Establish and conduct business relationships
- SITXHRM402 - Lead and manage people
- SITXGLC501 - Research and comply with regulatory requirements
- SITXEVT505 - Manage on-site event operations
- SISXRSK502A - Manage organisational risks
- SISXFAC409 - Plan and provide sport, fitness and recreation services
- SISXIND406A - Manage projects
- SISXCCS402A - Coordinate client service activities
- SISXFAC404A - Coordinate facility and equipment acquisition and maintenance
- SISXWHS503 - Establish and maintain work health and safety systems
- SISXFAC506A - Manage stock supply and purchase
- SISXIND404A - Promote compliance with laws and legal principles
- SITXMPR501 - Obtain and manage sponsorship
- SITXEVT602 - Develop event concepts
- SITXEVT603 - Determine event feasibility
- SITXFIN601 - Manage physical assets
- BSBHRM405 - Support the recruitment, selection and induction of staff
- BSBFIM601A - Manage finances
- BSBMGT617A - Develop and implement a business plan
- BSBMKG608A - Develop organisational marketing objectives
- BSBMKG609A - Develop a marketing plan
- BSBRKG502B - Manage and monitor business or records systems
Why study with Australian Institute of Personal Trainers?
The Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT) are experts in wellness, nutrition and fitness, and equip their students with the best in online and face-to-face education. Established in 1999 alongside their partner Registered Training Organisation, Foundation Education, they have grown from a handful of campuses in Queensland to over 150 campuses and an extensive network of Mentors Australia-wide. When you study with AIPT you have access to:
Dedicated student support
Access to a dedicated team of Support Officers to make the transition into study as straightforward as possible.
Largest network of locations
We have the industry's largest network of gyms across Australia, ensuring we're in your area.
Flexible delivery options
AIPT caters to all learning styles and offers flexible study options to suit everyone’s schedules and budget, with a focus on practical learning and hands-on experience.
Throughout your studies as an AIPT student, you will have complete access to their expert education team – a group of mentors who are dedicating to answering any of your questions or study queries. Mentors are seasoned fitness professionals with years of experience in the industry and can be contacted via email, online or over the phone. As an AIPT student, you will also have access to the My eCampus learning portal where you will be able to download course content and submit assessments.