The Master of Data Science, offered by James Cook University, is the ultimate course to expand your expert knowledge and boost your career prospects in the world of data science.
Beginning with the basics of data science, including statistical methods, data visualisation and database systems, you’ll then move on to more specialised areas, such as programming and data mining. High-level subjects include the management, security, privacy and ethics of data; strategic decision-making; and machine learning. Your studies will culminate in masterclasses and a major project, and you will have the opportunity to participate in in industry, research and government departments where possible, solving real-world data-driven problems.
With its accelerated learning model, this course is one of the fastest part-time Masters in the IT field. It is delivered by award-winning teachers and leading experts with expansive, cutting-edge knowledge and valuable real-world industry experience.
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- A Bachelor degree (whilst not a prerequisite for entry, high numeracy skills equivalent to senior level mathematics that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus is assumed); OR
- At least five years of relevant work experience in an IT or data science-related industry. Industry experience will need to include some background in computing, data analysis or programming. Application based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
What You’ll Learn
In this IT course, the subjects you may study include:
- Foundations for Data Science
- Statistical Methods for Data Science
- Data Visualisation
- Database Systems
- Programming and Data Analytics using Python
- Essential Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Introduction to Data Mining
- Advanced Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
- Data and Information: Management, Security, Privacy, and Ethics
- Big Data: Management and Processing
- Data Science and Strategic Decision Making
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Data Science Master Class 1
- Data Science Master Class 2
- Data Science Project (6 credit points) - composed of Part A and Part B
Why study with James Cook University Online?
Get equipped with the skills you need to succeed when you study with one of Australia’s leading universities, James Cook University Online! Choose to undertake a graduate certificate, graduate diploma or masters and gain the knowledge and confidence to make your mark in the industry.
Their flexible online study option means you can learn on the go, or from the comfort of your own home while still having full access to leading academic materials. JCU has created an interactive and dynamic online learning platform packed with videos, group chats and more to keep you connected with your teachers and peers.
Enjoy a first-class learning experience when you learn with JCU, ranked in the top 2% of universities from around the globe (Academic Ranking of World Universities – ARWU) and home to some of the world’s leading academics.
The success and happiness of their students is James Cook University’s first priority.
From day one through to graduation, students at JCU Online will have the support of a one-on-one Success Advisor. Each advisor will be readily available to help you with any administration, navigating the system, staying motivated and more.
Got a question for your tutor? They’ll be available for any questions and advice via online chat.