The Bachelor of Dance Education course offers a comprehensive, specialist program of practical and theoretical training, and is ideally suited to individuals looking to pursue a career as a high school dance teacher.
Combining dance, health and teaching into one targeted degree, this course allows you to focus your training on dance teaching while covering a breadth of topics relevant to physical education and physical training.
ACPE offers this degree on-campus study and the course content is delivered through a variety of methods including lectures, tutorials, seminars, performance workshops, dance classes and individual tuition. To ensure classroom readiness students undertake school-based practical experience throughout their degree.
Study dance at ACPE
To be eligible to enrol in this course, applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Achieve at least three Band 5 HSC results,including one in English; AND
- Pass bridging units benchmarked to a Band 5 HSC result; OR
- Completion of a NESA approved alternative entry pathway as advised by your prospective university; OR
- Have completed a Higher Education Degree.
Applicants are also required to attend a dance audition.
What You’ll Learn
In this dance education course, the subjects you will study include:
- Dance Composition
- Understanding Health
- Skill Acquisition
- Dance History
- Dance Production
- Popular Dance Styles
- Musculoskeletal Anatomy and Physiology
- Classroom Skills I
- Curriculum Planning for Learning and Teaching HPE I
- Classical Dance Styles
- Practices in Movement
- Professional Experience 1
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Curriculum Planning for Learning and Teaching in Dance
- Dance Analysis
- Theory & Application of Playing Sport
- Professional Experience 2
- Classroom Skills II
- Curriculum Planning for Learning and Teaching in HPE II
- Dance Composition II
- Contemporary Youth Health
- Professional Experience 3
- Social Influences and Student Diversity
- Curriculum Planning for Learning and Teaching in Dance II
- Dance Performance
- Elements of Movement
- Teaching Skills: Dance Studio
- Youth Health & Resilience
- The Inclusive Classroom
- Applied Exercise Physiology
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Education
- Current Issues: A Teaching Research Project
- Dance and Technology
- Literacy for Learning and Teaching
- Professional Experience 4
Why study with Australian College of Physical Education?
The Australian College of Physical Education (ACPE) is one of Australia’s leading education providers when it comes to all things sports management, applied fitness, dance and physical education. Students here will graduate with the training to work as fitness professionals as well as the knowledge to manage their own businesses.
ACPE is one of the oldest higher education providers in NSW, providing a premier learning experience for over 100 years. By gaining your qualification at ACPE, you will receive a nationally recognised credential and have access to world-class athletic facilities and training that draws in students from all over the globe.
A key value for the team at the Australian College of Physical Education (ACPE) is to ensure their staff and students are well supported and are encouraged to develop both personally and professionally.
ACPE has a Student Learning Services (SLS) resource centre which is a student’s hub for all things relating to academic skills and success throughout their studies. Students also have access to SMARTTHINKING - an online service that gives students 24-hour access to academic tutors and resources.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations:
- New South Wales: Sydney Olympic Park